Wednesday, October 2, 2019

To my Dad

Hi daddy. You know I love you, right? I'm just going to write this last earthly letter to you, something everyone else can read, like the Bible. The reason I say it's the last "earthly" letter, is because this is probably the last one I'll send you from earth, not because you're not on earth anymore. We are Christians, so we know this is not the end.

I just want to reflect on us. I know you are here in spirit, to say "see you later," not goodbye. Our relationship is defined by ups, not downs, because like you said, no matter how much we argue, we always make up. Just like that one time we made up, and mom asked us if we made up, and we both said, verbatim, "I don't know what you're talking about."

Thank you for all the uplifting messages you taught me. To take a break when I need to, to always care about others. To grow, but never grow up. That being a square and being yourself is awesome. To always think positive and have fun. You were my hero in that way.

Now to talk about you, what defined you as a person on earth. I'm going to use what you said, "I love you in God's way, but if you actin shtink, kiss my behind!" You were a true noble man, you protected Mama at work, me at school, or Chrissy with her boyfriends. And you were not only Chrissy's daddy or my daddy, you were daddy for anyone who needed it. Whether it be someone in your family, like with your nephews Jaiwuan and Tyrell, your nieces Shameka and Danielle, or just somebody younger you've met at work or while you were going out.

You've always said you were proud of me. I want to say now, I am very proud of you. I am proud that you were unapologetically Alvin "Mark" Price. The Trekkie, the DJ with his proudly old school music, the boy who cut up his comic books so he could make action figures, the kidult who still watched cartoons, and the man of many voices. Thank you for living your life to the fullest, so I can live mine the same from your example.

I know you want to know what I'm doing. I have been by the last two things you told me: give people a chance and try everything. Mama and Chrissy can tell you all the people I've given chances to on YouTube, and I am open and pleasant to anyone I meet at work or while I'm out. I'm glad I did. But make no mistake, I have removed any rotten "2 piece snacks" from my life and playlist. And welcomed back anyone who apologized. I've done everything from making musical lyrical videos for you to even customizing shoes! Chrissy and I are working on a space storybook series based on you. I will continue going by your advice.

Thank you for being my dad Daddy. No one else could do it. Enjoy your rest. I just ask you one favor: whenever you have some time, in-between playing drums for Prince, jokin' with Rick James and Charlie Murphy, playing Star Trek with Nog, Alexander, Spock and Scotty, or talking to God and Jesus, just take time to check on your family in spirit. Kiss Mama and Grandma every night. Laugh with Grandad and Aunt Terri when they remember you. Play with Chrissy, Kenny, and Auri whenever their in the land make-believe. And lastly, come visit me sometime and watch some Batman or Spongebob, or something. As Tigger would say, TTFN Daddy, Ta Ta For Now.
Love you, Daddy. Your Angelcake.

        

No comments:

Post a Comment